Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Healthy Banana / Pumpkin Pancakes

Here's a way to get your kids to eat a fruit AND a vegetable in one sitting, while thinking they are getting a special breakfast treat.

Take 3 overripe bananas (I show 4 here, I got a little zealous on this day...3 will do ya. 4 actually makes the pancakes a little too soft I've determined).

Mash them up (or use your handy-dandy Kitchenaid Mixer to do the work -- loving mine!!!!)
Add 1 16 oz can of Pumpkin. Combine.
Add 2 cups of Lowfat Bisquick Mix. Combine.
Add 1 Egg and Milk to desired consistency. Start with 1/2 a cup of milk and continue to mix, evaluate and add. You don't want the batter to be too thick or the pancakes will rise too much. The pumpkin makes the pancakes more likely to fluff up and get "thick". Some people like them that way. I like my pancakes on the thinner side. You can always add more milk after doing the 1st batch if they seem too thick for you.
Now heat up your griddle.  It is important that it is pre-heated and evenly heated. I usually put a few drops of water on there and wait until the water is all evaporated. I put my griddle on 4 of out 10 (low/med) for the heat.
I make mine "dollar size" since my kiddos are young. They seem to be more enthusiastic about them at this size for some reason.  When the pancakes start to have bubbles appear, but before the bubbles have all popped, it's time to flip them.
Here's a plate of pancakes ready to go. I usually make these late at night after the kids are in bed, then let them cool and put them in the freezer for easy serving any AM.

Here's the bag about to go into the freezer.
My son likes his with a little peanut butter and syrup on the side. He makes little banana/pumpkin/peanut butter pancake sandwiches with "dipping sauce".

Mr. "Picky Eater" in Action
A little peanut butter, then dip it in some syrup.
I have a fork, but who needs one?

Don't like vegetables you say!?! Ha ha! Tricked ya! (sssshhhhhhhh)


This article has been "moved" to my new blog website and can also be found here: http://www.bakingindallas.com/healthy-bananapumpkin-pancakes/

1 comment:

  1. Hub made some corn cakes for breakfast last weekend. These look a little tastier!

    ReplyDelete